Part of your "value" on the Empire Avenue Exchange is based upon your use of various social media. Your followers, tweets, views, subscribers, etc. on sites like Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, Youtube, and your own blogs count toward your net worth on Empire Avenue. What this means is that active members of Empire Avenue tend to be active on social media sites. This means your activity on Empire Avenue translates more easily into social media connections with those who invest in you and those you invest in. Although I have not yet tried it, there is a way to "buy" ad space and promote yourself/business. Empire Avenue may be a good way to promote your SL business.
I'm creating more followers and following more people who I interact with on Empire Avenue at a much faster rate than any other online activity. So, my first take-away from Empire Avenue is that they have really hit upon a great way to promote social media connections. Plus, it is just fun.
If you do join or are already a member, my Empire Avenue profile is at http://www.empireavenue.com/PAND where you can research my connections, portfolio, and invest in me. If you are not yet a member of Empire Avenue, use http://empireavenue.com/?t=tr90uak to join and after you connect a Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, or Youtube account we both get 2,000e (the currency).
Tips for investing:
- Look for people with several active social media sites and good scores for those connections
- Check the Recent Arrivals tab in Search for newly registered people with good social media connections
- When investing in "blue chips" try to find a valued stock with a high dividend per share (0.25e or better) or, even better if you care to calculate it, dividend per dollar invested (see below)
- When investing in growth stocks buy new users at a low price and don't be afraid to sell when they plateau out after a few days
- I prefer people with nice profile pics and an interesting bio
- Look for people who are active on Empire Avenue
- Check out their blogs and other sites for number of followers and quality of content
- Invest your e-bucks as soon as you get em - usually when you invest in someone they invest back or people who invest in them invest in you - it's a sorta chain reaction
- Promote people in your portfolio - follow them on twitter, flickr, etc; subscribe on youtube, endorse any blog listed in their connections, and so on. This is how Empire Avenue fosters social media interaction!
- Invest in other Second Life residents! Think Global, Shop Local
- Invest in me :)